Use a Decision Step
Decision steps create branching paths that contain different workflow steps. Workflows that encounter decision steps will only continue processing steps along one of the available paths.
Add Decision Steps
InsightConnect supports two types of decisions: automated and human.
Add an Automated Decision
Automated decisions are steps that use conditional logic to create branching workflow paths. No human input is required. The step will analyze input and determine which configured branch to follow.
To add an automated decision step to your workflow
- After choosing Decision from the step menu, name the decision step.
- Make sure the "Automated" tab is active under the "Input" section.
- Create a name and description for each path to branch from the decision.
- If you need more paths, click + Add another path.
- Choose a default path. The workflow will continue running down this path if none of the other paths' conditions are met.
- Configure each path's conditions. Use the InsightConnect query language to format each step's filter query.
- Click Continue. You can now add steps to each path.
Default Branches for Automated Decisions
All automated decisions must have one default branch that the workflow should use if none of the decision conditions are met.
Human decisions are steps that pause a workflow and require you to manually choose a response. The response corresponds with one of the available paths stemming from a human decision step. Use human decisions when an automated decision may not be desirable, such as in the case of potentially destructive actions.
By default, human decisions are executed on the “Jobs” page, where the job will be paused until a user provides human input. You can configure a human decision to execute in other integrations, like in Slack.
To add a human decision step to your workflow
After choosing Decision from the step menu, name the decision step.
From the “Input” section, click Human to access the human decision configuration fields.
Enter a name and description for each path to branch from the decision.
- To add more paths, click + Add another path.
If you want to define a limit on the amount of time your team has to respond to the decision, set a timeout for a workflow. After the timeout occurs, the workflow will resume.
To set a timeout:
- In the Time out after field, enter the amount of time the workflow will pause. Choose the path the workflow takes after the timeout or create a new path if the default ones do not meet your needs.
If you want to allow people to make a decision from an email, configure email settings for the step.
To determine who gets the email and when:
- Select the Allow users to make a decision from email option.
- From the Select users to send email to dropdown, choose the people who will receive the decision email. They will be notified that a job is paused and awaiting a decision.
Use the dropdown to add any artifacts to the email that may provide context for the decision.
Click Save Step. You can now add steps to each path.
If you have further questions relating to InsightConnect, try starting a discussion in the Rapid7 Discuss community forum.