Set Up an API Trigger
API triggers use the HTTP POST method to send an external application's data to an InsightConnect endpoint. We generate the endpoint URL for you when you configure the trigger.
Set Up an API Trigger in InsightConnect
To set up an API trigger:
- Click Create New Trigger.
- In the section "From API," click API Trigger.
- Name the trigger and add a description. We recommend you provide as much detail as you can, as other users can use the trigger in future workflows and will need to know more about the application it links to.
- In the Input section, do either of the following:
- To manually configure your trigger output, click +Add Variable.
- To use JSON to configure your output, click Enter JSON. Type or copy your JSON into the code editor, and click Save.
- Click Continue. InsightConnect will generate an endpoint URL corresponding to this trigger.
- Copy the provided "Generated URL" field contents, then click Close.
Configure the External Application
After setting up the trigger in InsightConnect and copying the generated URL, you need to configure the API in the external application. For help, refer to the application's API documentation.
Use the HTTP POST Method
You must use the POST HTTP request method with the provided InsightConnect URL to send data to the trigger. The sample client URL (cURL) command provided in InsightConnect formats this for you, but your API might require further configuration.
Authenticate Endpoints for the Insight Platform
To authenticate to the endpoint and send events, you need to generate an Insight platform user API key and pass it into the HTTP header.
The Insight platform uses two types of keys: user keys or organization keys. Organization keys are mapped to your customer account, but user keys can be mapped to specific organizations within your company. For InsightConnect, you will need to create a user API key and map it to your InsightConnect organization.
Learn how to manage and generate user API keys here, then copy and paste that API key into the HTTP header by replacing the
api_key variable in this format: