Work with Connections
Connections are individual instances of credentials and other parameters needed to authenticate InsightConnect to supported integrations or plugins. Credentials can be passwords, API keys, or other sensitive information, while other connection parameters can include data like IP addresses or port numbers. Workflows cannot run successfully if connections configured improperly.
All connections you create are available from the “Connections” tab under Settings > Plugins & Tools. From this page, you can filter connections by plugin type or orchestrator, edit the connections, run tests, view connection details, and see how many workflows utilize the connection.
Find Connection Information
Every plugin has different connection requirements. You will need to prepare the required information before adding a new connection, using the following steps.
To learn what information is required for a plugin connection:
- Navigate to the details page for the plugin you’re working on. You can find this in the workflow builder by clicking the down arrow button on a plugin when choosing a plugin for a step, then clicking on the Plugin Docs button. Alternatively, you can view plugin details for all installed plugins from the “Plugins” page under “Settings.”
- Click on the Help tab in the plugin details panel.
- Scroll to the “Connections” section. This section of the plugin documentation will help you locate the information you need from the plugin’s vendor to configure a connection. If you have further questions, consult the plugin’s API documentation. Links to API documentation are often found in the plugin documentation “Help” or “Connections” sections.
Add New Connections
You can add connections to InsightConnect in the workflow builder while setting up triggers or actions. While adding a trigger or action to your workflow:
- In the “Choose a Connection” configuration panel, scroll past your existing connections and click + Add a New Connection.
- Name the connection.
- Choose an orchestrator to store the connection in.
- Choose a credential set to use with the connection. If necessary, add a new credential.
- Configure any additional parameters. Different plugins will require different fields.
- Click the Continue button. InsightConnect will automatically run a test for the connection. Learn more in test a connection.
- Continue configuring the step. Learn how to configure steps here.
The new connection will be available as an option during step configuration and in the "Connections" page.
If you need to edit an existing connection, you can modify all fields EXCEPT the orchestrator field. Connections cannot be moved between orchestrators. To add a connection to multiple orchestrators, create a new connection for each orchestrator and name them descriptively.
Use Existing Connections
Existing connections appear on the "Connections" page, as well as in selection menus during step setup. To use an existing connection in a workflow, select the connection from the list that populates in the “Choose a Connection” configuration panel after setting the plugin and plugin action within the workflow builder.
Delete Existing Connections
If you need to remove a connection from InsightConnect, you can delete it.
To delete a connection:
- Navigate to the "Connections" tab of the "Plugins & Tools" page under the Settings in InsightConnect.
- Find the connection you want to delete. To search for connections by the plugins they correspond to, un-check the “ALL” option in the “Plugins” section. Then check the boxes for plugins that use the connections you want to remove.
- Click the ellipsis on the right side of the tile for the connection you want to delete. Then select the Delete option.
- If the connection can be deleted, click Yes, Delete to confirm. If you receive an error message when attempting to delete a connection, you likely still have the connection configured in active workflows. Remove the connection from any workflow steps or triggers it is configured in, then try again.