When you create a credential in InsightIDR, you'll be prompted for a credential name in addition to the username and password. This credential configuration is automatically saved for reuse with other event sources and is identifiable by the display name you set.
Each Collector generates and publishes a public and private key pair. The public key is stored in the Insight Platform Cloud. The private key is stored locally in your Collector in a protected manner that requires a connection to the Insight Platform Cloud in order to read it.
The cloud encrypts event source credentials with the public key of every Collector when you add a single event source. Only the Collector can decrypt those event source credentials from the cloud, and a Collector can only retrieve the credentials used by the event sources running on it.
Add a Credential
To manage or add new credentials:
- On the lower left of the Home Page panel, click Settings.
- Click Credential Settings.
- Click the Add Credential button. You'll see the New Credential dialog box appear.
- Enter the credential name in the "Name" field. If you do not name your Credential, the name defaults to the IP range for that Credential.
- Enter the username for the Credential in the "Username" field.
- Select the verification type from the "Type" dropdown menu.
- If you selected Password, enter the password in the "Password" field. If you selected Private Key, enter the private key in the "Private Key" field.
- Click the Deploy Credential button.