Dashboards and Reports
The Dashboards Library is in Open Preview
Explore our library of pre-built dashboards, including our new Compliance dashboards, and use the feedback option to let us know what you think!.
You can build custom views of the data you want to monitor using dashboards. Create a new dashboard or use an existing dashboard as a starting point. Then, add, edit, resize, and rearrange data visualization cards to tailor the data view to you and your organization’s needs.
The Dashboard feature consists of 5 main parts:
- Dashboards - a custom InsightIDR data view composed of data visualization cards from the Dashboard Card Library.
- Dashboard Library - pre-built dashboards that have been curated by experts at Rapid7. This library includes our compliance dashboards for ISO 27001. You can add pre-built dashboards to your dashboards list, and customize them to meet your needs.
- Card Library - pre-built data visualization cards that you can add to your custom dashboards. You can also customize pre-built cards to meet your specific use case.
- Dashboard List - the list of all the dashboards created by users in your organization. You can access it from the Dashboards and Reports page by selecting the All Dashboards tab.
- Card Builder - the Card Builder makes it easier for users to build custom visualizations that best suit their needs
Add Pre-built Dashboards
- Go to the Dashboards and Reports page.
- Click the Dashboard Library button to access the pre-built dashboards.
- Find the dashboard you want to add:
- Read the dashboard descriptions to learn more about each dashboard.
- Click Preview to view the cards for a dashboard.
- Use the filters on the left to display the dashboards by category.
- Click Add to immediately add to your Dashboards list. You should only add Dashboards that are applicable to you.
Customize your Pre-Built Dashboard
Create a New Dashboard
- From the InsightIDR left menu, click Dashboards and Reports.
- From the dashboard list, click the New Dashboard button. The New Dashboard modal appears.
- Enter a Dashboard Name and Description. The “Description” is optional, but it helps differentiate all of the dashboards at your organization.
- Click the Create Dashboard button. As soon as you click the Create Dashboard button, the dashboard is available in the dashboard list. However, it’s empty until you add data visualization cards to it, so you’re immediately directed to the Card Library. From there, you can find, add, and customize cards for your dashboard. Read Dashboard Cards to learn all about customizing the data visualization cards on your dashboard. If you can’t find a card you want in the Card Library, build your own in the Card Builder.
Edit an Existing Dashboard
You can edit, remove, resize, reposition, and add new cards on any dashboard, including pre-built dashboards. Just open the dashboard and make your changes. They are saved automatically.
Edit the dashboard name or description
To edit the name or description associated with the dashboard, you can do so from the dashboard list or an open dashboard. Click the gear icon, select Edit Dashboard, then make and save your changes.
Edit dashboard details
- From the dashboards list, open the dashboard you want to edit.
- To adjust the data refresh rate of your dashboard, select a new value from the refresh rate dropdown list.
- To edit the cards, click the gear icon on the card you want to edit, click Edit, and make and save your changes.
Copy a dashboard
You may want to use an existing dashboard as a starting point for a new dashboard to save you time. If so, click the gear icon and select Copy Dashboard, then edit the copy as needed.
Dashboard cards contain pre-built visualizations of your data. Without cards, your dashboard is just a blank screen. When you add cards to a dashboard, you’re adding the data you want to see in that particular view. Dashboard cards live in the Card Library. From the Card Library you can:
The Dashboard Card Library contains the pre-built data visualization cards you use to create dashboards. You can preview real data in the card before adding it to their dashboard. To access the library, click the Add Card button from an open dashboard. You can then search for cards using the search bar, or browse for cards by category.
Add Cards to Your Dashboard
Click the Add Card button from a new or existing dashboard to navigate to the Dashboard Card Library. From there you can click the Add button for as many cards as you want. A message appears at the top of the page letting you know they were added successfully. When you exit the Card Library and return to the dashboard, your cards will all be there.
Customize Pre-Built Cards
You can customize the name and description of pre-built cards before you add them to your dashboard or after. To customize them before you add them to your dashboard, click the Edit button on the card in the Card Library, then make and save your changes. To customize them after you add them to your dashboard, click the gear icon on the card in your dashboard, then make and save your changes. You can also resize and reposition cards after you add them to a dashboard. To resize them, click and drag the resize icon in the bottom right corner of the card. To reposition them, grab the card by clicking the header and drag it to its new location.
Build a Custom Card
Click the All Dashboards button to access a list of dashboards created by users in your organization. You can then open and view any dashboard in the list by clicking the dashboard name.
Dashboard Filtering gives you another level of flexibility to find the insights you want. By default, no filter is applied to your dashboard. To apply a filter:
- Click the filter icon at the top of your dashboard to reveal the Dashboard Filter.
- Click edit and type in a valid query to begin filtering.
The filter will be applied to all cards within your dashboard. You cannot save a dashboard filter. When you click out of your dashboard, the filter will be reset to default.
To filter your dashboard to focus on a specific asset or user, you could create the query “asset=ExampleCollector”. Then, click "Apply" to filter your dashboard. How you can leverage dashboard filters:
- Create a network perimeter-themed dashboard and then use dashboard filters to focus on a specific IP address or asset.
- Build a cloud-focused dashboard and then use dashboard filters to focus on activity associated with a single EC2 instance
- Create a network activity dashboard and then use a domain filter like “dropbox” to focus on any Dropbox activity on a network
You can easily create, schedule, and send reports based on their dashboards to anyone you want. To access your reports, go to Dashboards and Reporting and click the Reports tab.
Create and Schedule a Report
- From the InsightIDR left menu, click Dashboards and Reporting.
- Select the dashbaord that you want to report on.
- Click Create Report.
- Fill out the report details, add recipients, and schedule the report.
- Click Create Report again to save your changes.