Agent Management in the Insight Platform
The Agent Management experience in your Insight Platform Home page is the central location for monitoring all the Insight Agents you have deployed across your organization. This article covers the following topics:
- Download center
- Agent errors
- Table view
For information on how to use additional Agent Management settings and access Insight Agent logging capabilities, see the following articles:
- Agent Management settings - Insight product use cases and agent update controls
- Agent Management logging - view and download Insight Agent logs
To access Agent Management:
Elevated privileges required
Your Insight account must have a platform or product administrator role to access the Agent Management view.
- Go to insight.rapid7.com and sign in with your Insight account email address and password.
- If you do not see the My Products & Services screen upon signing in, open the app switcher in the upper left corner of the screen and click My Account.
- On the My Products & Services screen, expand your left menu and click Data Collection Management to open Agent Management.
Agent Management has a direct link to the Insight Agent download page in the upper right corner of the screen. Once there, select your operating system to get started. Complete installation documentation is available from our Install master page and its included subpages.
Agent Management supports dedicated views for environments composed of multiple organizations. Use the dropdown next to Data Collection Management to swap between the organizational views that you have privileges to access.
Which organizations can I see?
The availability of organizational views will depend on your level of access:
- Organizations will not appear if you do not have access to them
- Organizations will appear if you have read-only access to them, but will be disabled
Agents can have the following statuses:
- Online - Indicated in green, an online agent has sent its status in the last 10 minutes.
- Offline - Indicated in gray, an offline agent has sent its status within the last 15 days but not in the last 10 minutes.
- Stale - Indicated in yellow, a stale agent has not sent its status in at least 15 days.
What happens to stale agents over time?
Any agent that has not sent its status for more than 30 days will be removed from your Agents table and will no longer factor into your agent metrics. If the agent is able to check back in at a later time (this is often the case for assets that go without internet connectivity for extended periods), it will reappear.
The Agents table itself functions as a rolling 30 day snapshot of all agents deployed in your environment. Consequently, agents shown here may differ from historical agents shown in your Insight products.
The “Status” column of the “Agents” table also indicates any recorded errors that were detected with that particular agent.
Open the Agent Information drawer to inspect detected errors in detail.
These metrics display your total number of deployed agents, further divided by status. Each will update in real time when any changes in status are detected.
Metric values are calculated based on records contained within the Agents table. These values will change based on any filters you have applied. See the Filters section to learn more.
You can refine the displayed data in the Agents table by applying preset or custom filters.
The Filter window contains a series of agent data categories and their corresponding applicable values. Each granular filter is appended with a value in parentheses to indicate the number of records that qualify. Select any of these checkboxes to apply a filter based on those qualifying agents. You can also apply apply a bulk-filter based on the data category itself.
You can apply multiple preset filters across several categories to further refine your metrics and table rows.
Use the query field to create more specific filters on your agents. Custom queries feature several different parameters that can be combined with a variety of operators for highly granular views of your agents in real time.
- Click the query field to open the parameter dropdown.
- Select any of the listed parameters. You can also type a keyword to narrow the parameter list.
- Select an operator. Available operators will depend on the parameter you have specified.
- Specify a value between the quotation marks.
- If desired, specify additional parameters with the
- Click Apply when finished.
Agent information drawer
Click the Hostname link of an agent record to open the Agent Information drawer, which contains additional information such as the agent ID, asset type, and in-depth location details.
You can export agent records in CSV format with the Export to CSV button in the upper right corner of the Agents table.
While it is possible to export your entire agent list with this function, Rapid7 recommends that you apply a filter to contextualize your table records first:
- In the Filter panel, apply one or more filters based on the available categories.
- Alternatively, apply a query filter for a more customized agent list.
- Click Export to CSV. A banner appears at the top of the screen indicating a CSV file is being generated.
- The banner turns green when the CSV file is ready. Click Download CSV to retrieve your CSV export.
CSV exports are limited to 100,000 records.