Box.com is a cloud storage service for enterprises. You can configure a Box event source for an enterprise subscription only, not for an individual or business subscription.
Box.com uses Open Authentication (OAuth) to authorize InsightIDR to collect activity logs from their servers. In order to read Box.com logs, the collector needs to be able to connect to https://api.box.com
In the Box.com integration, InsightIDR polls on a regular basis for the following information:
- Box.com "users" to map them back to domain users and tie ActiveDirectory and Box.com activity together
- Recent Box.com "events" to pull authentication and administrative activity
In InsightIDR, you will see:
- Ingress activity to Box.com on your "Locations" map as if the users were logging into your internal network
- Admin activity on your "Administrators" page (typically account change activity--new account created, account deleted, etc)
- Users who are seen doing Admin activity get a "Box admin" tag in InsightIDR
- Several incidents might get generated:
- Ingress from disabled account (the user is no longer part of the company but still logging into Box)
- Harvested credentials
- Multiple country authentications
- Ingress from threat
If you are running InsightIDR in Firefox, be sure to enable pop-up windows before configuring a Box.com event source.
Configure InsightIDR to collect data from the event source
In order to collect data from Box.com, you will need to authorize InsightIDR to access your Box.com administrator account during this one time set up.
After you complete the prerequisite steps and configure the event source to send data, you must add the event source in InsightIDR.
To configure the new event source in InsightIDR:
- From the left menu, go to Data Collection and click Setup Event Source > Add Event Source.
- Do one of the following:
- Search for Box.com in the event sources search bar.
- In the Product Type filter, select Cloud Service.
- Select the Box.com event source tile.
- Select your collector and select Box.com from the event source dropdown menu.
- Enter the name of your event source.
- Optionally choose to send unparsed logs.
- Click "Begin" to set up OAUTH and start the authorization process.
- A new window or tab will open for you to perform an authorization grant with Box.
- Login to Box.com and click Allow.
- Close the window/tab to return to InsightIDR.
- Configure your default domain.
- Click Save.
Connect Apps to Box
Applications use OAuth, an open source authentication standard, to connect to Box. There are also Box SDKs that include implementations of the OAuth2 grants used by Box, or client libraries available in a number of languages that you might find useful.
Read this link for more information: https://developer.box.com/reference#oauth-2-overview.
If you experience issues with Box.com, refer to these steps to troubleshoot.
Error: App Disabled by Administrator
If you attempt to connect InsightIDR to Box.com but encounter an error message, you may need to allowlist InsightIDR as an application.
How to allowlist InsightIDR in Box
Before you begin, ensure you have obtained a Rapid7 API key. Then, you can follow these instructions to allowlist InsightIDR in Box: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043691294-Restricting-Applications-from-the-Admin-Console.
Read https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044195053-Disabled-by-Administrator-Cannot-Use-Application for more information on this solution.