Google Apps are a set of cloud-based productivity applications. In order to collect data from Google apps, you must use a Google account that has Admin privileges. Rapid7 recommends that you use a private browsing window to set this event source up to ensure that you log onto the correct admin level account.
In order to read Google Apps logs, the collector needs to reach the Google server to pull the logs, and must be able to connect to https://www.googleapis.com
Rapid7’s InsightIDR product uses OAuth Authentication to retrieve administrator audit logs from the Google Apps HTTP API. When configuring the Google Apps event source, the only permission that InsightIDR requires in the authorization grant is
Once configured, Google Admins can see InsightIDR requests in the Google Admin interface.
InsightIDR uses encrypted Amazon Web Service S3 Buckets to store saved data. InsightIDR uses your audit logs to track and alert on potentially malicious admin activity, as well as to make logs available in Log Search for reporting and compliance.
Before You Begin
Google Apps is enabled via an OAuth credential. Read about requirements for this credential here: https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/reports/v1/guides/prerequisites.
In order to configure this event source, you will need to be a Google Admin.
If you are logged into an account that does not have Admin privileges, the OAuth popup displays to use that logon instead, which won't have the rights you need. Log out and log onto a Google account that has Admin privileges.
When you are configuring these permissions in the Google API, you only need to check off the Reports Privilege.
How to Configure This Event Source
- From your dashboard, select Data Collection on the left-hand menu.
- When the Data Collection page appears, click the Setup Event Source dropdown and choose Add Event Source.
- From the “Security Data” section, click the Cloud Services icon. The “Add Event Source” panel appears.
- Select your collector and Google Apps from the event source dropdown.
- Name your event source.
- Optionally choose to send unfiltered logs.
- Select your LDAP account attribution preference.
- Click Begin to set up OAUTH and start the authorization process.
- A new window or tab will open for you to perform an authorization grant with Google.
- Click Allow to enable audit reports for the G Suite Domain.
- Close the window/tab to return to InsightIDR.
- Configure your default domain.
- Click Save.
InsightIDR also fetches a listing of all users via the users' API.
Google APIs use the OAuth 2.0 protocol for authentication and authorization. Google supports common OAuth 2.0 scenarios such as those for web server, installed, and client-side applications.
For more information, read this article: https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OAuth2.