Option 1: Use Network Sensor CloudFormation Template
A CloudFormation template is provided to simplify deployment of Network Sensor. You can access the template by clicking here: https://rapid7-cloudformation-templates.s3.amazonaws.com/sensor/Network_Sensor_Cloudformation.json.
Rapid7 recommends using the Network Sensor CloudFormation template to deploy the Network Sensor for AWS. This is the most automated deployment option and will give you the most hands-free experience.
How to deploy the Insight Network Sensor for AWS
In this video, learn how to deploy the Insight Network Sensor for AWS using a CloudFormation template and configure mirroring. You can also follow the steps below to deploy the CloudFormation template.
CloudFormation Template Resources
The CloudFormation template creates the following resources for you:
- Sensor EC2 instance with:
- Size t3.xlarge
- Amazon Linux2
- 2 Network Interfaces (Platform Comms and Mirror)
- A Mirror Filter
- A Mirror Target
- Various tags to help identify resources
When the instance launches, it installs the Network Sensor automatically.
Deploy the CloudFormation Template
To deploy the CloudFormation template, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your AWS Console.
- From the “Services” dropdown, select the CloudFormation page.
- In the top left corner, click the Create Stack button.
- On the “Select Template” page, select the “Specify an Amazon S3 Template URL” option at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the following value:
- Click the Next button.
- Populate the form with the values defined in the required resources.
- On the “Options” page, you can change any details as desired.
- Click the Next button when you’re ready.
- On the “Review” page, review your configuration options.
- Select Create Stack.
The following shows the stack creation is complete:
- Wait for the stack creation to complete.
Complete your configuration
Now that you've deployed the sensor using the CloudFormation template, all you have to do is complete the sensor configuration in Insight Data Collection Management.