Insight Agent Windows XP support End-of-Life announcement
As of July 19, 2019, Rapid7 will start the End-of-Life (EOL) process for Windows XP support with the Insight Agent. This process will conclude on July 19, 2020, after which the Insight Agent will no longer officially support Windows XP as an endpoint operating system.
As Rapid7 moves toward more scalable solutions for our customers, we are enhancing functionality of our Insight Agent, which allows you to collect data from across your IT environment—in the cloud and on-prem.
To improve performance and security, and increase the speed of new feature development, we will be using an up-to-date version of Python. The latest version of Python (Python 3.7.3) doesn’t support Windows XP (please see https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-373/).
End of life announcement date
Rapid7 announces end of life support of Windows XP for the Insight Agent.
July 19, 2019
Last date of support
The Insight Agent will no longer support Windows XP. Rapid7 will no longer provide technical support for interoperability issues encountered between Windows XP and the Insight Agent.
July 19, 2020
Customers currently using Windows XP have the following options:
- Continue to utilize the Insight Agent on Windows XP without support from Rapid7.
- Update the Windows operating system to a Rapid7 supported version, which can be found here: https://insightagent.help.rapid7.com/docs/operating-system
- For InsightVM customers only: You can use a Scan Engine. Please see details regarding this here: https://insightvm.help.rapid7.com/docs/selecting-a-scan-engine-for-a-site
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the Insight Agent stop working on Windows XP once the EOL date is reached?
The Insight Agent will likely continue to run on your Windows XP endpoints even after the EOL date. However, any interoperability defects that are due to the Windows XP operating system will not be addressed by Rapid7. In addition, customers running Windows XP will not benefit from improved performance and security with future releases of the Insight Agent.
Will the Insight Agent on Windows XP still receive content updates?
Yes, the Insight Agent will continue to receive content updates that specify the data needed to be collected in order to assess the system for vulnerabilities. It is likely, however, that most of these updates will not be applicable to Windows XP systems as security patches are rarely published by Microsoft for EOL software.
- Contact your Customer Success Representative, or contact Rapid7 Support.
- For new customers interested in the Insight Agent, contact email@example.com.
- For more information about Rapid7’s End-Of-Life Policy, go to: https://www.rapid7.com/legal/end-of-life-policy/